Friday, May 28, 2004

shouldn't you be looking for more stylish sunglasses or something?

well, well, well, mr. cohen. quite a fine job of backtracking and abandoning almost every assertion you made in your prior post, while attempting to maintain some semblance of self-respect. if I were more capable of sympathy, I'm sure I would feel bad for you. alas, I'm not, and I don't.

---on "george the second"---

mr. cohen, if you've done so much desperate waffling in your time that you can't even remember which opinions you've expounded when, then fine. if there were ever a mark of intellectual torpidity, it would be that. in any case, you shouldn't expect me to have to keep all your various, contradictory opinions straight (heaven knows keeping thrings straight has never been my forte), or remind you of which position you expounded and at what time. that's your problem, not mine.

---on mr. damon---

you know of three people to whom I'm attracted: matt damon, brad pitt, and rufus wainwright, and none of them qualify as chubby. and for the record, I think your post might be rather offensive to all of the (a) intellgient and (b) less than physically fit readers out there.

don't go there. don't make me start critiquing your body. have you seen matt damon in the bourne identity? because he has muscles in places that I'm sure you've never even dreamed of.

---on sororities and fraternities---

for someone who's open to quite a few stereotypes, (ahem, mr. cohen who thinks that being a jew makes any politician immediately a god and whose sexual "identity" is one based on confusion and indecisiveness) you really ought not to say such things. if nothing else, frat parties provide ample space for random hook-ups, thus providing an invaluable service to the university of chicago social scene.

and while the anti-gay hostility and lack of intelligence displayed by some fraternities and sororities on this campus cannot be denied, I will not go so far as to condone your image of pill-popping DG's. not fair, mr. cohen. a low blow, from a desperate person. try to sound intelligent some other way.

---on existential wrongness---

I know fully well that "existential" exists as a word on its own. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, hoping that in some way your comment was an attempt to have some intelligent commentary by allying itself with some philsophical backing. either way, it's still a dumb comment. if I'm wrong all the time, why bother debating with me?

---on my sex life---

you say "you don't have a bf" as if it's something I should be ashamed of.

if I wanted a boyfriend, I could probably have one, mr. cohen. but some of us have standards and don't wish to date just for the sake of dating, as so many of the people on this campus seem wont to do. furthermore, I'm not really sure what business this is of yours or the general public that reads this blog.

on a more basic level, I'll thank you to keep your attacks to the ideas espoused on this blog and not reduce yourself and this blog into the mire of petty, personal attacks. because I'd end up saying something we'd all regret...

let he who is without sin, as it were.

---on agreement of pronoun and antecedent in the english language---

"one" is singular.

"their is plural.

therefore, one should be referred to with the possessive pronouns "his," "her," or "his or her," and certainly not "their." though such usage has unfortunately become accepted in some cases to avoid gender-specificity, when "one" refers to me, it's not necessary to use "their."

---on capitalization---

I maintain that my style is more consistent with the style of this blog in general, a fact you cannot refute. you seem to do rather well at reading my posts and finding extremely petty ways to disagree with them, so I'm inclined to say that they're readable enough.

and, if you haven't figured out already, I don't give much credence to your opinion anyway.

alas, I've got papers to write, so I think I'll stop here. mr. cohen, perhaps we could now return the conversation to something more civil? I'd debate the merits of mr. lieberman if I thought it would actually make a difference, but it doesn't. lieberman is irrelevant and boring, making a debate over his merits as useless as looking for substantive commentary in one of your posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home